Leggett & Platt Q2 Results
Leggett & Platt Reports Record 2Q Results
Aug. 02, 2021 4:10 PM ETLeggett & Platt, Incorporated (LEG)
CARTHAGE, Mo., Aug. 2, 2021 /PRNewswire/ —
- 2Q sales were a quarterly record1 $1.27 billion, a 50% increase vs 2Q20
- 2Q EBIT was $172 million, an increase of $149 million vs 2Q20
- 2Q record adjusted2 EBIT was $144 million, up $94 million vs 2Q20
- 2Q EPS was $.82, up $.87 vs 2Q20; 2Q adjusted2 EPS was $.66, up $.51 vs 2Q20 adjusted2 EPS
- Acquired Kayfoam, an Ireland-based provider of specialty foam and finished mattresses
- Increasing 2021 guidance: sales of $4.9–$5.1 billion; EPS of $2.86–$3.06; adjusted2 EPS of $2.70–$2.90
Diversified manufacturer Leggett & Platt (LEG) reported record1 quarterly sales in second quarter of $1.27 billion, a 50% increase versus second quarter last year.
- Organic sales were up 50%
- Volume was up 31%, reflecting strong recovery in most of our businesses and increased demand versus 2Q 2020, which was significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Raw material-related selling price increases of 16% and currency benefit of 3% added to sales growth
- Acquisitions and divestitures offset each other
Second quarter EBIT was $172 million, up $149 million from second quarter 2020. Adjusted2 EBIT was $144 million, a second quarter record and an increase of $94 million from second quarter 2020 adjusted2 EBIT
- EBIT and adjusted2 EBIT benefited primarily from volume growth and metal margin expansion
- Maintained $20 million of fixed cost reductions implemented in 2020 (versus $36 million in 2Q20)
- 2Q 2021 adjustment for a $28 million gain on the sale of real estate associated with our exited Fashion Bed business
- 2Q 2020 adjustments include a $25 million goodwill impairment charge related to our Hydraulic Cylinders business and $2 million of restructuring charges primarily from pandemic-related cost reductions
- EBIT margin was 13.5% and adjusted2 EBIT margin was 11.3%, up from 6.0% in the second quarter of 2020
Second quarter EPS was $.82, an increase of $.87 versus second quarter 2020. Second quarter adjusted2 EPS was $.66, up $.51 versus adjusted2 EPS in second quarter 2020.
Chairman and CEO Karl Glassman commented, “Our employees continued to drive strong results in the second quarter despite a challenging macroenvironment. Due to their tremendous efforts, we are pleased to deliver all-time quarterly record1 sales along with record second quarter adjusted2 EBIT and EBITDA. While we continue to navigate inflationary pressures along with supply chain disruptions, consumer demand remains strong and we are increasing our full year guidance.
“We are also pleased to announce that on June 4, we acquired a leading provider of specialty foam and finished mattresses primarily serving customers in the UK and Ireland. The company, Kayfoam, is located near Dublin and has two manufacturing facilities with combined annual sales of approximately $80 million. Kayfoam expands the capabilities of our European Bedding business and establishes a platform in foam technology and finished mattress production. Similar to our U.S. Bedding business, this acquisition allows us to support our European bedding customers anywhere in the value chain from innerspring and foam components to finished products including private label mattresses, toppers, pillows, and other bedding accessories.
“Finally, we remain focused on cash generation while reducing debt and deploying capital in a balanced and disciplined manner that positions us to capture near- and long-term growth opportunities, both organically and through strategic acquisitions.”« Previous Post Next Post »