Covestro Panelization Technology
Advanced Panelization Made Possible With Polyurethane
PITTSBURGH, PA. – August 23, 2017 – Covestro LLC, a leading supplier of high-tech polymers, was named a finalist of the 2017 Polyurethane Innovation Award for its new polyurethane-based panelized wall technology, PUReWall™. Sponsored by the Center for the Polyurethanes Industry (CPI), this award recognizes companies and individuals whose vision and perseverance result in new products, technologies and initiatives.
“At Covestro, innovation is our direction. We strive to develop breakthrough chemical and application technologies in the markets we serve,” explained Eric Rexrode, director of research and development, Rigid Raw Materials, Covestro LLC. “PUReWall™ is proof of what’s possible through innovations in polyurethane chemistry, and we’re honored to be recognized for this work as a Polyurethane Innovation Award finalist.”
Designed for residential construction, PUReWall™ panels are manufactured at a panelization facility in a controlled environment and installed at the construction site. This structural, high-performance wall replaces traditional exterior sheathing with polyiso rigid foam board and uses a new closed cell spray polyurethane foam formulation that results in a highly structural and energy-efficient panel.
PUReWall™ provides several benefits to panelizers and builders:
- Up to 75 percent less time to erect walls on-site and up to 30 percent less waste compared to stick-built construction
- 30-40 percent lighter than conventional wall panels, allowing for easier lifting and placement of PUReWall™ at the construction site
- Meets insulation requirements and stringent energy codes
- Eliminates the need for plastic house wrap through the use of a polyiso insulation board that acts as an air and moisture barrier
- Meets code requirements for wall shear and racking strength
- Reduces cycle time, waste and labor costs
- Maximizes system performance by manufacturing components in a controlled environment
“PUReWall™ is an innovative approach to construction that highlights the best attributes of polyurethane chemistry,” said Jim Lambach, manager of Building and Construction, Industrial Marketing, Polyurethanes, Covestro LLC. “Not only are we bringing this technology to a wider market, but we’re also developing polyurethane advocates across the building and construction industry in the process.”
Winners will be announced at the 2017 Polyurethanes Technical Conference on October 4, 2017, in New Orleans.